Problem with Polish characters

If you want to report a bug.
Nicodem
Posts: 9
Joined: 10.05.2007 14:38

Problem with Polish characters

Postby Nicodem » 10.05.2007 15:01

I have downloaded BlogDesk few days ago and unfortunate it seems to be totally useless for all Polish people.
We do have some additional Polish characters in alphabet. To access them we have to use right Alt key + some letter.
For example letter 'ł' - Alt+l, "ń" - Alt+n and others.
We have 9 combinations: a c e l n o s z x - all with rigth ALT.
Suddenly BlogDesk uses RIGHT ALT for the use which normally (shortcuts) is being used as LEFT ALT.
Because of this bug we are unable to write properly in Polish language.
Is there any possibility to change it?

Johannes
BlogDesk
Posts: 553
Joined: 19.08.2005 20:29

Re: Problem with Polish characters

Postby Johannes » 10.05.2007 15:21

Nicodem wrote:...it seems to be totally useless for all Polish people.

What a nice way to start a request.

Nicodem wrote:We do have some additional Polish characters in alphabet. To access them we have to use right Alt key + some letter.

Is this right Alt key marked Alt Gr on your keyboard?

Nicodem wrote:Suddenly BlogDesk uses RIGHT ALT for the use which normally (shortcuts) is being used as LEFT ALT.

Is BlogDesk the only program you know that shows this behavior?

Nicodem wrote:Because of this bug we are unable to write properly in Polish language.

Does unable mean that there is only this and no other way to produce those special characters?

Nicodem
Posts: 9
Joined: 10.05.2007 14:38

Re: Problem with Polish characters

Postby Nicodem » 10.05.2007 15:56

Johannes wrote:
Nicodem wrote:...it seems to be totally useless for all Polish people.

What a nice way to start a request.

Well, this is not really a request but bug report.

Nicodem wrote:We do have some additional Polish characters in alphabet. To access them we have to use right Alt key + some letter.

Is this right Alt key marked Alt Gr on your keyboard?

We do not have AltGR - we do use English layout keyboards which means that we have lef and right Alt without anything addtional on it.

Nicodem wrote:Suddenly BlogDesk uses RIGHT ALT for the use which normally (shortcuts) is being used as LEFT ALT.

Is BlogDesk the only program you know that shows this behavior?

Yes. Early version of ATI Control Panel (Catalyst center) had same issue long time ago. They did corrected it then after some requests.


Nicodem wrote:Because of this bug we are unable to write properly in Polish language.

Does unable mean that there is only this and no other way to produce those special characters?


Yes. For 'Polish programmers' layout - only possible way. Another is to write text in Notepad and Copy & Paste into BlogDesk but then it's going to be rather hard to use.

Johannes
BlogDesk
Posts: 553
Joined: 19.08.2005 20:29

Postby Johannes » 10.05.2007 21:27

What exactly happens when you press Right Alt + l or Right Alt + s or Right Alt + z?

Nicodem
Posts: 9
Joined: 10.05.2007 14:38

Postby Nicodem » 10.05.2007 21:56

Johannes wrote:What exactly happens when you press Right Alt + l or Right Alt + s or Right Alt + z?

Alt + l - gives 'B'
Alt + s - gives '['
Alt + z gives '|'
Alt + e - does nothing
Alt + c goes to Excerpt view (as it's ExCerpt) (dashed c)

as wrote before - in Polish layout only left Alt is being used for key shortcuts, while write is being used to get Polish characters.

Johannes
BlogDesk
Posts: 553
Joined: 19.08.2005 20:29

Postby Johannes » 11.05.2007 18:13

The problem is that I do not have any control over the ALT key handling - it's the programming language (VB6) and the tools I use that handle this. I would like to solve this issue, but currently I have no idea how it could be done.

Nicodem
Posts: 9
Joined: 10.05.2007 14:38

Postby Nicodem » 11.05.2007 18:31

Johannes wrote:The problem is that I do not have any control over the ALT key handling - it's the programming language (VB6) and the tools I use that handle this. I would like to solve this issue, but currently I have no idea how it could be done.


Is it possible that it because of some locale settings for German language? Maybe it's possible to change locale during the final compilation to English layout?
I'm not good at it, it's just a suppose. Do you think that if source would be compiled at English version of VB6 it would not take place?

Johannes
BlogDesk
Posts: 553
Joined: 19.08.2005 20:29

Postby Johannes » 11.05.2007 18:50

I don't know, this is something I would have to test. When you open Extras/Notebook, can you type your special characters there?

Nicodem
Posts: 9
Joined: 10.05.2007 14:38

Postby Nicodem » 12.05.2007 08:48

Johannes wrote:I don't know, this is something I would have to test. When you open Extras/Notebook, can you type your special characters there?

Yes, in Extras/Notebook everything works fine.

Johannes
BlogDesk
Posts: 553
Joined: 19.08.2005 20:29

Postby Johannes » 12.05.2007 11:17

Nicodem wrote:Yes, in Extras/Notebook everything works fine.

And what about the text field for the Title in the main window? Or the one for the Trackbacks?

Nicodem
Posts: 9
Joined: 10.05.2007 14:38

Postby Nicodem » 12.05.2007 11:24

And what about the text field for the Title in the main window? Or the one for the Trackbacks?[/quote]

Alt+c does not work (goes to Excerpt), other works fine.
In trackbacks - same - Alt+c does not work properly, rest fine.

Johannes
BlogDesk
Posts: 553
Joined: 19.08.2005 20:29

Postby Johannes » 12.05.2007 12:10

So it's only in the big text field that special characters can't be typed using Right ALT? But they can be inserted using the clipboard? And what about typing them in Source View?

Nicodem
Posts: 9
Joined: 10.05.2007 14:38

Postby Nicodem » 12.05.2007 12:34

Johannes wrote:So it's only in the big text field that special characters can't be typed using Right ALT? But they can be inserted using the clipboard? And what about typing them in Source View?


Alt+c - same issue everywhere. Goes to Excerpt view.
All others works. Can paste from Clipboard anywhere.

Johannes
BlogDesk
Posts: 553
Joined: 19.08.2005 20:29

Postby Johannes » 12.05.2007 13:40

Ok, so typing them in Source View or inserting them from clipboard can be used as a workaround. I'm not very confident, but maybe I find a way to solve the issue in the HTML view. (The editor is a tool I use and I don't have much control over it.)

Nicodem
Posts: 9
Joined: 10.05.2007 14:38

Postby Nicodem » 05.06.2007 15:23

Johannes wrote:Ok, so typing them in Source View or inserting them from clipboard can be used as a workaround. I'm not very confident, but maybe I find a way to solve the issue in the HTML view. (The editor is a tool I use and I don't have much control over it.)


Hi!
Any progress in this issue?

Johannes
BlogDesk
Posts: 553
Joined: 19.08.2005 20:29

Postby Johannes » 05.06.2007 15:26

Nicodem wrote:Any progress in this issue?

No, and probably not in the very near future.


Return to “Bugs & Problems”